The National Basketball Association (NBA) and the National Basketball Players Association (NBPA) today announced Kwesé Sports, Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa, Castle Lite, General Electric, Solektra International, Marriott International and 947 as official partners of NBA Africa Game 2017. The partner roster represents the most-ever for the NBA in Africa.
The second NBA game in Africa will take place Saturday, Aug. 5 at the Ticketpro Dome in Johannesburg, South Africa.
NBA Africa Game 2017, which will take place following the 15th edition of Basketball without Borders (BWB) Africa, will once again feature a Team Africa vs. Team World format and will be played in support of UNICEF, the Nelson Mandela Foundation and SOS Children’s Villages South Africa (SOSCVSA). The game will air live in sub-Saharan Africa on Kwesé’s TV, Internet and mobile platforms, including Kwesé Free Sports, Kwesé Sports, select free-to-air channels, Kwesesports.com, and the Kwesé app.
Below are highlights of each partner’s efforts:
- Kwesé Sports – Official Broadcast Partner and an Official Marketing Partner of NBA Africa Game 2017. The pan-African broadcaster is the NBA’s exclusive broadcast partner in sub-Saharan Africa. Kwesé Sports continues to amplify the NBA’s efforts to grow basketball across sub-Saharan Africa through its broadcast and mobile platforms.
- Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa – Official Automotive Partner of NBA Africa Game 2017. Ford has been the Official Automotive Partner of the NBA in sub-Saharan Africa since 2015 and will return as an NBA Africa Game partner.
- Castle Lite – Official Beer Partner of NBA Africa Game 2017. Castle Lite is a new NBA partner and will unlock fully immersive viewing experiences and activations surrounding the game, including the Castle Lite Extra Cold Zone pregame fan festival at the Ticketpro Dome on Aug. 5.
- General Electric – Official Marketing Partner of NBA Africa Game 2017. GE Africa is a new blue chip partner for the NBA in Africa and shares the league’s commitment to supporting innovation and youth development across the continent.
- Solektra International – Official Marketing Partner of NBA Africa Game 2017. Solektra joined the NBA family earlier this year as a Jr. NBA partner and will work with the NBA to provide sustainable solar lighting solutions for communities and young people across Africa.
- Marriott International – Official Marketing Partner of NBA Africa Game 2017. Marriott returns as an NBA Africa Game partner and will run a sweepstakes in the U.S. to send one lucky winner to attend NBA Africa Game 2017. Marriott will also host a series of elite events in Johannesburg with Marriott Rewards members.
- 947 – Official Radio Partner of NBA Africa Game 2017. 947 returns as the radio partner for the second NBA Africa Game and will leverage their radio personalities to promote the game throughout South Africa.
“This blue chip roster of partners for the second NBA Africa Game is a testament to the growth of basketball and the NBA brand across the continent,” said NBA Vice President and Managing Director for Africa, Amadou Gallo Fall. “These likeminded partners also share our mission to improve the lives of young people and will work with us to amplify the impact of the game of basketball throughout Africa.”
“Kwesé Sports is the exclusive home of basketball in sub-Saharan Africa, and we are excited to once again partner with the NBA on this game,” said Econet Media President and Chief Executive Officer Joseph Hundah. “Sports are important for development on the continent, and access is a critical aspect of growing sports in Africa. Our pan-African broadcast capability delivered across our various broadcast and mobile platforms extends the reach of basketball, exposing more fans to the beautiful game.”
Team Africa, including Bismack Biyombo (Orlando Magic; Democratic Republic of the Congo) and Emmanuel Mudiay (Denver Nuggets; Democratic Republic of the Congo), will be comprised of players from Africa and second generation African players. Team World, including CJ McCollum (Portland Trail Blazers; U.S.), will be comprised of players from the rest of the world.
Full rosters of players, coaches and legends, along with ticket information will be announced at a later date.
The sold-out NBA Africa Game 2015, the first NBA game on the continent, took place Aug. 1, 2015 at Ellis Park Arena in Johannesburg.