To celebrate student excellence, Stageworx School of Performing Arts is thrilled to announce their year-end showcase and student award presentations taking place at Nu Metro Cinema at Clearwater Mall, Roodepoort over the weekend of 11th & 12th December 2021.
The achievements of students of Stageworx School of Performing Arts during the course of 2021 and the remarkable talents of its full-time students, culminates in The Show Must Go On, taking a slightly different format this year to the usual stage shows that the school produces.
The triple bill 2021 Year-End Showcase event will be a series of screenings and takes the form of a full weekend experience, promising to delight and inspire all who watch the screenings!
Saturday 11th December
- 14h30 – The Trinity London College Screening. A screening of the work of the Stageworx School of Performing Arts examination students with awards for the highest achievers of the year.
- 19h30 – The Stageworx Year-end Awards for Part-Time students showcasing some of the incredible talent and extraordinary work accomplished during the year.
Sunday 12th December – The Main Event!
This year, there will be TWO opportunities to enjoy the vibrant young talent!
At 14h30 and 19h30, the full-time Showcase entitled The Show Must Go On is a presentation of performances by the post matric students graduating from the Stageworx School of Performing Arts, Full-Time 101and 102 courses.
This event has been put together by the multi-award winning Stageworx Team –
Rowan Bakker, Dillonne Prince, Mullin Krienke and Gemma Marinus.
The Show Must Go On is a 90-minute non-stop music spectacular, staged with the exquisite backdrop of The Teatro at Montecasino, taking us on a journey through the trials and tribulations of the life of a performer during the pandemic.
This screening forms part of an ongoing collaboration with Montecasino that began with 2019’s hugely successful Born to Perform shows, presented by Stageworx School of Performing Arts, hosted at The Teatro and continued through to their hosting of 2020’s Year-End Showcase Spectacular.
Some familiar faces return after their show-stopping performances in 2020’s Showcase at the Teatro: Jamie Nell will be performing a rendition of I Just Wanna Dance… at the Lonehill Fire Station (certainly one to watch out for!), Micah Stojakovic leads the way in a tender performance of Not My Father’s Son, Connor Meiring and Refentse May have a standout performance with Gravity and Erin Davidson shines in her rendition of Losing My Mind. The show will feature hits such as Backstage Romance, At The Ballet, as well as the epic The Show Must Go On.
In addition, some new exciting faces will be introduced, making sure you’re not going to want to miss this showcase, seeing South African young talent at its very best!
Gemma says: “It is a privilege to be producing a showcase of this calibre and in this format. Our teachers at Stageworx have been exceptional in giving their heart and soul to make ‘The Show Must Go On’ something we can all be incredibly proud of.”
With Covid-19 protocols in place, only 190 tickets are available for each of the four screenings at R100 per screening. Each screening will have free seating at the respective cinemas.
Watch the promotional video HERE
Running a Performing Arts School in the midst of a pandemic
When the national state of disaster was put into place in March 2020, Gemma Marinus, principal of Stageworx School of Performing Arts mobilised the school to transition to online training across all the school’s offerings including singing, acting, dance, songwriting and music production. The students have appeared in a multitude of online video, television and digital formats of performance.
This has continued into 2021 where classes now include a combination of live and digital work in line with what Gemma feels will be the future of Arts Education.
Gemma says: “It takes a team to ride the challenges that the pandemic has thrown upon all of us, and willingness to change and adapt. The pandemic has proven that this is possible and our students have been learning a multitude of on camera skills as well as the usual stage skills in preparation for what the future of the entertainment industry holds.”
She continues; “We are extremely lucky to have secured a partnership with Custom Content Collective who have produced numerous television shows in being able to offer these kind of experiences to our students.”
2021 – the year where “the show HAS, indeed, gone on”….
Even with the pandemic continuing into its second year, Stageworx School of Performing Arts has still managed to create and secure some incredible opportunities for their students, some of which include:
- The incredible brothers Shaun and Connor Meiring appearing in the Top 6 of Stand Up SA on SABC.
- Many students appeared in the Together Webseries supported by the National Arts & Culture Trust (NAC) lead by Stageworx alumni Chris Kasongo.
- Dan Suttner landed an ensemble role in the Broadway Mania virtual theatre production 35MM – a Musical Exhibition
- Various song releases from Benjamin Wood, Jeanique Fourie, Rachel Ralphs and many others.
- In addition, Stageworx School of Performing Arts alumni have also kept themselves busy with Philippa Higgins (Netherlands) and Marianthe Panas (England) beginning their overseas studies at prestigious international universities
- Olivia Cloud is head of a musical theatre department in Dubai.
- Yahto Kraft is taking the airwaves by storm and is also assisting with costume design for The Show Must Go On.
- Zinah Rose and John Tsenoli have both secured record deals and Zinah is now the face of Renos Race for SABC 2!
- Even one of their youngest students, Malakai (7yrs) appeared in a TV commercial for Adcock Ingram.
Gemma Marinus wraps up by stating; “We are excited to see what 2022 brings, with restrictions lifting slightly, to allow our entertainment industry to start to flourish again. Stageworx School of Performing Arts remains committed to nurturing the future of our creative sector however best we can.”
Connect with Stageworx School of Performing Arts Online: