Entries now open for the South African edition of the third Wings ForWorld Run
Centurion (South Africa) – Calling all South Africans – young and old, racers, runners and walkers, the able-bodied and those in wheelchairs – entries for the South African edition of the Wings for Life World Run are now open for individuals and teams.
After two years in the Cape, SuperSport Park in Centurion will play host to the only African stop for the world’s ‘most unique race’ – an ideal location for participants in both Johannesburg and Pretoria.
The Wings For Life World Run takes place in 34 international locations, simultaneously. This means that South Africans will both start and race with thousands of participants from around the world, all running in varying light and weather conditions for one cause – finding a cure for spinal cord injury.
There is no finish line. Instead, a catcher car chases down participants, ending their race once the car overtakes them. This allows each person to set their own goal for the event. Some will run as little as 5km, others will aim for the World Champion crown.
One hundred percent of all entry fees globally go to the Wings For Life Foundation, which funds numerous research projects determined to improve treatment for spinal cord injuries and ultimately, find a cure.
Rally champion and Wings for Life World Run Ambassador Gugu Zulu is excited to be taking part again in 2016: “This race is an electric experience – there’s no other way to describe the tension knowing that the catcher car is getting closer and closer. Then there is the atmosphere back at the start, watching the race stream from around the world while knowing that all of us were part of a global effort for such an important cause.”
“This year my family and friends will join me in Centurion and I hope to see the best turnout South Africa has had to date. There’s only one African leg of the event, let’s make it huge.”
All the important entry information
- Date: Sunday 8 May 2016
- Time: Starter gun goes at 13h00 local time
- Venue: SuperSport Park, 283 West Ave & South Street, Centurion
- Entry fee: R250, 100 percent of which goes to spinal cord research
- Official social hashtags: #Wingsforlife #WorldRun
To enter as an individual
- Don’t worry. You’re not really running alone, there are thousands of participants all around the world.
- Register for the South African event at http://www.wingsforlifeworldrun.com/za/en/pretoria/.
- Boast about your entry on your favourite social media platform including #Wingsforlife #WorldRun.
- Set your distance goal and start training. Or show up on the day and run for as long you’re able. Either way, you’re bringing the world one step closer to a cure for spinal cord injury.
To enter a team
- Assemble your team of friends, work buddies, neighbours, relatives, fellow book clubbers or mums’ groupers. This is also perfect for running clubs and corporate teams.
- Pick a fun team name and creative running costume.
- Register your team at https://teams.wingsforlifeworldrun.com/za/en.
- Boast about your entry on your favourite social media platform including #WingsforLife #WorldRun.
- Set a team goal and gather for regular training sessions, or just show up on the day with a costume and a lot of team spirit. Either way, you’re bringing the world one step closer to a cure for spinal cord injury.
- Take pics of your training and race for social media, company newsletter or family Christmas card.
- Check back at https://teams.wingsforlifeworldrun.com/za/en after the event for your team ranking, which shows who ran furthest in your team, the team’s combined kilometres and the team’s average kilometres.