SodaStream, the global leader of home carbonation systems currently sold in more than 45 countries worldwide, is pleased to announce the re-launch of its much-loved brand in South Africa (SA), one of its most promising regions.
Amidst the captivating views of Joburg hot-spot Emoyeni Estate, SA’s most impactful and influential lifestyle and health media ambassadors such as entrepreneur and wellness expert Nonhle Jali; entertainer and entrepreneur Leanne Dlamini, trainer to the stars Mandla “365 Functiona Training” Nhleko and lifestyle aficionado Candice Abrahams, gathered under the banner of SodaStream’s energy-infused new brand campaign, #FizzUpYourSummer. This campaign is geared towards ensuring that the brand achieves its mission of revolutionizing the beverage industry by empowering people and partners with a platform that offers a simple, fun and sustainable way to enjoy healthier beverages by making water exciting.
The luncheon unpacked the #FizzUpYourSummer campaign through a programme that saw SodaStream’s Managing Director, Fracois Dippenar kick-off the luncheon by providing a framework for the re-launch. SodaStream Marketing Director Thembakazi Ndamase unpacked the brand journey and re-positioning by divulging the triple-threat that SodaStream represents that is yet to be understood by local audiences. Through a captivating presentation, Tesh Ndamase highlighted these 3 key pillars as being SodaStream’s:
- Health & Wellness benefits – By providing an enjoyable solution towards water-drinking, consistent use of the SodaStream system can lead to many positive health benefits. These include helping to combat the dangers of sugar found in sugar-laden fizzy drinks that lead not only to weight-gain but also chronic diseases such as diabetes.
SodaStream syrups comprise one third of the sugar compared to their soda equivalent while the SodaStream Zero range of syrups are sugar and preservative free. A study in the Journal of Diabetes Care suggests that people who drink two cups or less of water a day were 30 percent more likely to have high blood sugar than those who drink more than that daily. This is due to the hormone vasopressin which helps the body regulate hydration. When a person is dehydrated, vasopressin stimulates the liver to produce more blood sugar.
Eight to 10 glasses of water a day is a tall order for many, especially if water isn’t appealing. So the fun in the fizz of SodaStream’s carbonated water improves the taste of water as the bubbles bring to the surface the fflavour and aroma of water. Scientists have found an enzyme on the sour receptors of our tongues called Carbonic Anhydrase 4 (CA-IV). The bubbles stimulate the sour buds and the somatosensory system. The dual activation on the buds and the nerves creates a pleasurable sensation. This enables users to maintain hydration whilst eliminating the bland and avoiding unnecessary sugar. It’s been proven that with Sodastream consumers drink up to 43% more water.
- Lifestyle benefits – The popping of Champagne corks is synonymous with having fun as the modern, cosmopolitan South African is hardwired to love bubbles. Not only does this fact ignite an exciting feeling amongst consumers but also, the convenience and family-friendly use the SodaStream system offers are big wins. With no need to purchase, carry or store large quantities of heavy and bulky bottles, the SodaStream system provides an endless supply of sparkling water, freshly made from tap water. The ability to customize one’s carbonation levels when using the system makes the machine the ideal solution for the entire family’s sparkling beverage needs. Moreover, it is economical as it will cost the family on 33 per liter versus other sparkling water or soda equivalents.
The use of the SodaStream system also has an impact on family dynamics. A report published in 2013 indicates that sugar is, if not more, desirable than addictive drugs such as cocaine. This leads into the notion that parents are still largely oblivious to the long term, damaging effects of over consuming sugar-dense foods and beverages. According to a report released by the World Health Organisation “adults and children need to reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits”. The fun experience of using the SodaStream units, infusing the delicious zero sugar syrups and infusing delicious fresh fruits also makes it easier for parents to raise healthier children who ordinarily prefer sugary drinks to water.
- Sustainability benefits – As a company that is committed to continuously improving as an earth-friendly brand and having a positive impact on the environment, SodaStream’s vision is to create a world free from single use plastic bottles. It is estimated that 141 billion bottles and cans are not recycled every year. These levels of pollution were reflected by the showcase of SodaStream’s Cage of Shame at the launch – a cage filled with used single use water bottles used to showcase the extent of pollution water bottles cause. The cage indicated global insights such as the fact that during the manufacturing process, 1 SodaStream bottle is tested to replace 512 cans and bottles in a year used by 1 person. Further to this in 2015, SodaStream users around the world saved over 4 billion plastic bottles and cans, with the number climbing every year.
The SodaStream system is a promoter of precycling, which is the practice of reducing waste by reducing the usage of products that generate waste. Each SodaStream reusable carbonating bottle is estimated to save the environment from 5070 bottles and cans in 3 years which supports the notion that SodaStream is the future as the brand sets the standards for precycling: the conscious choice to reduce plastic. By using tap water to create carbonated flavored beverages, SodaStream makes traditional store-bought beverage bottles obsolete. This results in less plastic manufactured, less plastic waste and less transportation of bottled beverages.
Along with the informative presentation which included an interactive demo to highlight how easy it is for adults and their children alike to use the SodaStream system, Liquid Chefs brought the notion of #FizzUpYourSummer to life as they showcased the tricks of how to create exciting SodaStream beverages when entertaining in one’s home or public event.
SodaStream relaunches with its full-range of products which include the following:
- Sparkling Water Makers
- Sodastream Power – RRSP 2500.00
- SodaStream Spirit – RRSP 850,00
- Genesis Mega Pack – RRSP 950,00
- Genesis Starter Pack – RRSP 800,00 (available November 2018)
- Sparkling Drink Mix (Syrups)
- Classics Crafted Cola – RRSP44,99
- Classics Cream Cola – RRSP44,99
- Classics Diet Cola – RRSP44,99
- Classics Ginger Beer – RRSP44,99
- Classics Xstream Energy – RRSP44,99
- Sensations Kiwi Pear – RRSP44,99
- Sensations Lemonade – RRSP44,99
- Sensations Peach Ice Tea – RRSP44,99
- Sensations Strawberry – RRSP44,99
- Zero Cranberry Raspberry – RRSP44,99
- Zero Lemonade – RRSP44,99
- Zero Lime – RRSP44,99
- Zero Pink Grapefruit – RRSP44,99
- Pink Mojito – RRSP 44.99 (available November 2018)
- Pina Colada – RRSP 44.99 (available November 2018)
- Classic Tonic – R44.99 (available November 2018)
- 30L – RRSP 279.00 (refills R125.00)
- 60L – RRSP 299.99 (refills R149.00)
- Carbonating Bottles
- 1L source fuse water bottles (set of 2) – RRSP 199,99
- 1L source fuse water bottles (set of 3) – RRSP 279,99
- 500ML bottle fuse twin pack emoji – RRSP149,99
- 500ML bottle fuse twin pack green/blue OR pink/violet – RRSP149,99
- 1L screw fit pet twin bottles – RRSP 189,99
As guests left with a SodaStream System of their own to use, it remained evident that the renewed era of holistic wellness which benefits our bodies, improves our lifestyles and cares for our planet, is here in the form of the SodaStream revolution.